Saturday, January 29, 2011

Birthday Bonanza

Yesterday I began my 58th (!) year, having completed 57 years on this mortal coil.  The day started out with a text message from my brother Bob; such a nice beginning to my 2011 "day of note."  Tom is down with the flu, and he croaked out, "Happy Birthday.  I know this is tacky, but I ordered a cake for you from Country Market; would you pick it up, please?"  So much for dinner out, but no matter.  I decided in the morning rather than be on the receiving end, I should celebrate by giving.  Not that there was all that much opportunity, but still, it's a better perspective to have on one's birthday. 

Went to morning Mass.  My "birthday twin" Mimi (who turned 80-something) and I were remembered in the intentions, and seranaded by the congregation at the end of Mass.  In turn, the three of us ladies in the office put candles in a doughnut and sang to Mimi when she and the ladies were finished stuffing the flyers into the bulletins. Dad & Claire called and sang Happy Birthday and chatted for a bit.  Dolores stopped by with a card and carnations.  Elizabeth came in with popcorn toppings, popcorn, and a carrot cupcake.  Cindy gave me a bottle of wine and bought my lunch.  Julie brought me a potted hyacinth.  Throughout the day there were greetings on Facebook, in my email, and more text messages.

When I picked up the birthday cake, I also got a steak and some snow peas, and fixed a nice dinner for Tom and me, complemented with the wine from Cindy.  The mail brought some cards and a package from Eva.  I got some more birthday calls, and talked for quite a while with Eva.  Tom and I ended the evening with cake.

It was low-key and wonderful, all around.  I truly, truly am blessed by good fortune and blessings, and all good gifts of friends and family and people who care.

I really want to thank you, Lord.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment